Functional and spacious the design follows the logical "flow patterns" of the passengers, creating a visible presence from all the relevant directions.
This important listed building was built between 1910 and 1913 and extensively modernized and restored in line with its protected status between 2005 and 2007. The station’s characteristic alternating green and turquoise tiles are again used. A new service centre for the Berlin transport authority, the Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (BVG), has been constructed in the large central concourse for the sale of tickets and for customer information. It also incorporates a newspaper and book shop.
The three parallel double skin glass walls that run along the walls of the tunnel wall are designed as display cases with glass shelving, extending down the entire length. At the overlaps the newly-constructed rooms are entered through large glass doors. The walls incorporate illuminated end panels for carrying public information.